Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hamburgers healthy style

My family had hamburgers and tater tots for dinner last night. Here's how I adapted my meal: I had a patty with no bun. Instead of American cheese, I put a tablespoon (about) of neufchatel cheese (lowfat cream cheese) on top, then added some sauteed mushrooms and onions on top. It was really good. I sprinkled the barbecue seasoning we used on the meat on it for added flavor. I did allow myself 4 or 5 tater tots. Honestly, they weren't worth the calories, for some reason they tasted sub-par.

Edited to add: Eeeek! I just checked the fat grams of the burgers we're using. One patty has 28 grams! Admittedly it was probably less because I cooked it on a broiler pan and a lot of fat drips off. Still, I'm going to have to reevaluate what patties I use when eating this. Won't be the same brand. I'm sure there are more healthy options.

No comments: